Background

Monday, November 14, 2011

Saying Yes Before the Watercolour Ponies Ride Away

If you are a parent, you know that it is almost part of our job requirement to say, "No". Well, not really, but it is our task to teach, to train, to guide. And alot of that entails saying "no". To be quite honest, I find that part of my job difficult and sad at times. With my five little people, somedays it seems like I have to say no ALL day! I hate that. I want to say "yes" so much more. And while some of that can't be undone, lots of "no" saying is necessary as little hearts and minds need to be taught what to do and pulled away from what not to do, I can say "yes" to these things:
~tickle time
~pillow fights
~sitting on the couch to look at a magazine with a big boy
~reading board books with the littlest girl
~playing memory or dollhouse with the other girls
~going upstairs to see the latest fort or lego creation

Sometimes, I find that I have a hard time saying "yes" to even these fun things, because of the pull of the laundry, the sticky wood floors that cry to be mopped, the sheets that need changing, the treadmill that is calling my name, you know, fill in the blank for whatever fills our days out of necessity. But so often, I hear that still small voice that says, "Just say 'yes'". "yes, is the best choice".
Have you heard the song "Watercolour Ponies"? Old, old one from Wayne Watson. In the lyrics it says,
"There are watercolour ponies
On my refrigerator door...
Brushed with careful little fingers
And put proudly on display
A reminded to us all of how time flies
Seems an endless mound of laundry
And a stairway laced with toys
Gives a blow by blow reminder of the war
That we fight for their well-being
For their greater understanding
To impart a holy reverence for the Lord"

Tonight I read the following poem that a friend posted and this just fit so nicely with what I think of so often, about saying yes and the watercolour ponies. I have to continually remind myself that one day my house will be clean because there will be no children here...etc, etc. I want to stay a minute longer tonight on the bed, play one more round of memory...soak it all in... cause as the song goes onto say, " They look a little less like little boys every day Oh the pleasure of watchin' the children growin' Is mixed with a bitter cup Of knowin' the watercolour ponies Will one day ride away."

My hands were busy through the day
I didn't have much time to play
the games you asked me to
I didn't have much time for you
I'd wash your clothes, I'd sew and cook,
But when you'd bring your picture book
And ask me please to share your fun,
I'd say: "A little later, son."
I'd tuck you in all safe at night
And hear your prayers, turn out the light,
then tiptoe softly to the door...
I wish I'd stayed a minute more...
for life is short, the years rush past..
A little boy grows up so fast.
No longer is he at your side,
His precious secrets to confide.
The picture books are put away,
There are no longer games to play,
No good-night kiss, no prayers to hear
that all belongs to yesteryear.
My hands, once busy, now are still
the days are long and hard to fill.
I wish I could go back and do
the little things you asked me to.
-author unknown


NOTE: to hear the song, go to the bottom of the page and pause the blog music before you play the song. The song starts somewhere around 3:00 on the video if you want to fast forward :)

2 comments:

  1. You have me all misty eyed Theresa! This is precious and so true. Saying 'yes' to spending more time with my kids is ALWAYS the right choice. I always think about how on my deathbed will I have wished I spent more time cleaning my floors or playing with my kids. The answer seems clear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was crying when I read the poem on my friend's post too, totally!! Oh for the grace to say yes at all the right times!! XO

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your heart or your mind with me? Please do and thanks for stopping by.