Background

Monday, November 14, 2011

Christ, Where My Eyes Should Be

Today, I am thinking about something that I think about often, the thing that came out of a great chastening from the LORD. It is this "Keep your eyes on Jesus". Nothing more, nothing less, "Keep your eyes on Jesus".

I cannot say with enough emphasis how this helps me in my days, how those 5 words can transform me from an ugly, offended woman to a grace filled person, or from a self-defaming, pile of introspective ashes, to a redeemed rejoicing soul. Fixing our eyes on Jesus is all the answer. If I have my eyes on another person, they will fail me, their sins will seem to great for me to forgive, they will offend me utterly. But if I fix my eyes on Christ, I see forgiveness, love, the One Who endured it all for me and at such a high price. How can I not forgive and love while looking unto Him?

For the other moments or days, today being one of the many, I get downcast in my sin and generally in my inability to be perfect. I want to love perfectly, say everything right, ask all the right questions and have all the right answers. I want to be holy and clean, through and through...but the truth is: I don't always love perfectly, I don't have all the right answers and I don't ask all the right questions, I am a seeker of Christ, yet I am still fighting against my sin. So what is one like me, or you, for that matter, to do when cumbered under the accusations of the devil and ourselves??

LOOK UNTO JESUS!!! He is the only answer, truly. I am not good enough, I can't love well enough, everybody will not like me, I will say the wrong things, do the wrong things, be at fault sometimes...It isn't me who matters, it isn't anyone else who matters. It's not about me, It's about HIM. It isn't ME who does the saving or the keeping or the grasping to CHRIST; it is CHRIST alone.

Here are Spurgeon's words that I read this morning and read often:
"It is ever the Holy Spirit's work to turn our eyes away from self to Jesus; but Satan's work is just the opposite of this for he is constantly trying to make us regard ourselves instead of Christ...Remember, therefore, it is not thy hold of Christ that saves thee-it is Christ; it is not thy joy in Christ that saves thee-it is Christ; it is not even faith in Christ, though that be the instrument-it is Christ's blood and merits; therefore, look not so much to thy hand with which thou art grasping Christ, as to Christ; look not to thy hope, but to Jesus, the source of thy hope; look not to thy faith, but to Jesus, the author and finisher of thy faith. We shall never find happiness by looking at our prayers, our doings, or our feelings; it is what Jesus is, not what we are, that gives rest to the soul. If we would at once overcome Satan and have peace with God, it must be by "looking unto Jesus."


Jesus what a friend for sinners...
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Hallelujah! what a Friend!
Saving, helping, keeping, loving
He is with me to the end


#289 a fun birthday for me...maybe I will post about that another day
#290 a husbands wise words and counsel, steady and peaceful, full of grace
#291 a fun care package from a friend
#292 a pretty scarf
#293 watching the leaves float down from the trees while running on the trail Saturday
#294 that my feet can take me miles, and miles and that it brings refreshing to my soul and body
#295 for protection when I FELL! while on my run
#296 a date with my love after 3 months of not...that was fun
#297 a free babysitter, Rachel (and Mitch) that made the night possible and super enjoyable!
#298 that my husband doesn't fret...almost ever!!
#299 baked oatmeal, served and eaten without complaint!!
#300 lying on the couch with my littlest
#301 the Truth of God's Word, when my thoughts, feelings would tell me lies
#302 the gift of song, music...I am sure I will use this one too often in my list, but it must be said. Thank you, Lord for music!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your heart or your mind with me? Please do and thanks for stopping by.