Well, if you don't already know, I am an emotional being. That's just the way God made me. And by His grace He is redeeming that for His glory, helping me to be self-controlled with my emotions moment by moment. Sometimes I fail, yes, it is true. But more than that, I do struggle from time to time with short bouts of depression and anxiety. It is in my makeup. For the most part, I am balanced and God helps me along the way, but I will not lie and say that it is always easy. In my flesh I think that everyone should have to experience a bit of anxiety and depression (the real deal kind) just so that they could be more sympathetic to those who struggle in that way. You know, walk a mile in another's shoes idea? But that is beside the point...
The past couple of weeks have been hard for me in this regard, which just makes me feel more pressed, things seem a little harder. Like for instance, we are keeping a couple extra little friends with us for a few days. Not easy when you are not feeling quite yourself. Well, one of them shattered the leg on our cute wooden play table. Boy, was I mad!! I let Mark deal with it; I was too frustrated. But did it really matter?? Really? Sure the boys needed to know that they were wrong and out of order, but in the grand scheme of things, did it really matter?
And today for instance, the girls were messing with their drinks while at the table and, of course, one spilled all over the place: Red Kool-Aid. Yes, they need to know not to play with their drinks at the table, but did it really matter? Was it worth getting in a pinch about?
Absolutely not! While I do a good job hiding my angry responses on the outside (usually), on the inside, some days, I am a the epitome of frustration and all for what? It doesn't do anyone any good to be frustrated or angry or mean.
My Savior would not have it so. My Savior would lovingly correct. He would speak truth in love. He would speak words of grace. He wouldn't get in a pinch or get all "stressed out". So on a day, or two or three like this, and in the minutes which some times lead to hours of situations like this, which really in turn leads to days and weeks and months of the mother's life, let me remember this, what my Savior says to my heart that seems to get all worked up and frustrated:
Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
~Mathew 11:28-30
Thank You, Jesus for this verse. How often I need to meditate on it!!! And help me to remember, dear Lord, as I have read from Ann Voskamp, 'I am the the servant, not the Source'. You are the Source of life, of strength, of peace, of everything I need. Oh how good it is to belong to You, Dear Lord, Savior Jesus!!!
As I read this post and was refreshed and encouraged by your reminder to speak truth in love my girls started bickering..oh so early in the morning...my first opportunity to lovingly correct them instead of letting it stress me out. Thank you my dear friend for being such a wonderful example and encouragement.
ReplyDelete