Background

Thursday, September 26, 2013

My thoughts and encouragement on homeschooling

I am posting this letter that I wrote to a friend's inquiry of my thoughts on being able to successfully homeschool 5 children. She suggested that I share this as a blog post in hopes to encourage other moms who need encouragement, guidance or ...whatever : ) These are only my "thoughts". I am no expert. This is my experience. I hope if you need encouragement it will bless you, on a hard day or in the beginning as you wonder if this could even be a possibility in the life of your family. Blessings ~Theresa xo

"Wow, homeschooling..., it is definitely a very challenging thing that brings me to my knees and makes me feel my need of Christ all the more. First, I think you have to know WHY you want to do it? Ask yourself, your husband the question: WHY am I considering homeschooling? This answer will help propel you through difficulties...if your answer is because you want to disciple your children, because you want to have the ability to decide what they learn and do not learn, because you want to teach them to love learning and to love God simultaneously, this motivation will propel you through what will be some very challenging days.

Another thing that you have to remember is that homeschooling is not going to look like regular school, I have to remind myself of this all the time. It may look like 10 minutes of reading with the 5 year old and send them off to color or do an activity at the table and then 15 minutes of math with the 7 year old and then send them to read a chapter book for a little while. Then you go and sit on the floor and read to the little ones and build blocks for 20 minutes...school is a climate of learning in your home. It isn't going to always be what we may have known of school in the public realm or the private for that matter either. School has to have a plan, but you make the rules. If your kids are learning and learning to learn, you are doing them a wonderful service. And furthermore if you are talking about Christ as you sit, as you stand, as you walk along the way, you are doing them an even greater service. Teaching them to love and know Christ is a huge gift.

[Please don't get me wrong here. I do not believe that homeschooling is the only choice for a Christian family and that you you couldn't disciple or love your child if you send them to school. I think loving and discipling children looks different in every family}

Another very important thing to remember is that alot of your life is already "school". The library visits, making cookies, making bread, teaching chores around the house. These things add up to making useful and profitable people who will go out into society and add to it in a lovely way. You MUST FOCUS only on a couple things in the early years and leave the rest alone. Teaching the children to read and do math is essential. Everything else in the early years up to 4 th or 5th grade is extra. READ, READ, READ. Read to the kids, let them get books that they like at the library. Listen to books on CD, talk to them about what they are reading...reading in a home creates smart children. Whatever interests them, get a book and have them read it or if they can't read it to them, or have one of the kids who can read, read it to them. Reading is the largest part of school. It may not "look" like school, but just reading is benefiting your children in a million ways.

MOST IMPORTANTLY is to seek CHRIST. Nothing happens in my home except from the grace of GOD. Truly, I could not do this without Him. Begging Him in the morning to help me. Reading a scripture with my coffee. Bowing my head when things get absolutely crazy here. Seeking Christ is essential and the worth of it is immeasurable. He helps me so much. Those who wait on the LORD WILL renew their strength.

Homeschooling is hard for me, but I am doing it because I believe it to be a worthy cause with priceless dividends. You will need Christ immensely and you will need to ask Him, what needs to be done and what does not each day. Trying too hard to fill a day with school work when you have lots of little people around will not be a super peaceful home. It will take trial and error. But teach your children lots of Scripture at meal times, sing songs, talk about Christ and read as much as you can. WHen things get really rough and crazy, stop, take time to tickle, give them a break and put on a learning video, put on classical music and take out the blocks and crayons and just sit. Go for a walk or a ride in the car and put a book on CD in the player...drink in Christ so that you will be a "stream to feed the garden" of your children. HE CAN HELP YOU.
Ask Him for wisdom. He promises to give.

If I can be of any practical assistance to you, come over one night and I can show you what I use and we can talk about some practical pieces to simplifying your school life...I am not a pro, but I have been doing it for a long time now and I know THE ONE Who can help ; ) Let me know how I can serve you. I will pray for you in this big decision. God will give you grace for whatever you choose. xoxo"

7 comments:

  1. Just awesome advice!! thank you! God just used you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a blessing to know that God is pleased to use me, in all my weakness, He is glorified!! Blessings, blessings!! To God be the glory!! I pray He fills your every need as you are on this homeschooling journey!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the encouragement Theresa! I WISH I could come over one night! We are just starting out, and it's so good to hear your perspective and exhortation to seek Christ first. We need a good phone chat session!!
    Love and Miss You!
    Katherine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that too!!!!!! Can't wait to chat!!! May Christ be glorified in us, my friend as we train and teach our children!!!! Love you, friend!

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing.Theresa!! Such an encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome!!! It is my pleasure!!! May Christ be made glorious in our homes and in us and our children!!! Blessings, blessings to you!!!!!

      Delete
  4. I can always count on you to be my sounding board, my encouragement, the one who helps me find my marbles when I think I just lost the last one!:) You are a blessing and a gift, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your heart or your mind with me? Please do and thanks for stopping by.