Background

Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Some Trust in Chariots

I only sometimes read the news...and I more often say to my hubs, "what's going on in the world?". That's his signal to update me on the happenings in the news. Most times, whether reading it with my own two eyes or hearing it from my husband's mouth, my heart is overwhelmed at what is happening in the world.

Last night was one of the nights I read the news...Uggh. And yes, I finished overwhelmed. And sad. And curious. And, well...scared. If you read the news and are never a little bit fearful, then you probably aren't normal. (I'd like to be more like you ;)

Journalist beheaded, Christians persecuted, children slain, riots in the city, pedophiles...you've seen it. I don't need to tell you what is in the news. But last night, as I watched and read, I was overwhelmed at what is happening all around and what could happen right here in my own state, my own town, to my own family. There was this momentary feeling of tears, and dread. Asking my hubby, what if?? What if any of this touches our lives right here, in Lynchburg, right here on our street, right here in my home, with my family, my children...

Well, even if you think things with the U.S. are fine and there will be no economic collapse and
Christians won't be martyred for their faith...or whatever. Bad things will eventually happen to you or those you love and while you can make wise choices, purchases and plans, you will not ALWAYS be able to stop the bad things from happening to you. So not to be a "Debbie Downer" or anything, but one day something bad very well may happen (and small bad things have already happened to all of us, haven't they? Some big things for some of you too.)

Ok, so bad things will happen, my Daddy told me that years ago when I was struggling with overwhelming fears as a young teen. That is for sure. But there is good news to go with that bad news, good news that far outweighs the bad. There is ONE who goes with us, before us, and loves us. Anything that touches my life, He knows about. All my days are already written in His book. Even my last day. It's already written. And while I wonder why? in many things all my days, I know Who it is Who holds my life in His hands and I know that He is always good and always in control. And one day, will right all things wrong. And so, it is in Him that I chose to put my trust. Because no matter what happens, He is with me. He is near and He knows. And in this crazy, sin sick world, He is the only ONE that doesn't change. So when the world is out of control and I see difficulties, challenges, battles, wars, murders, sickness all around, I cling to the ONLY thing that has any real promise for me. I cling to the Name of the LORD my God.

"Some trust in chariots, some trust in horses, but we trust in the Name of the LORD our God" Ps. 20:

So when I go to bed tonight, I will lock my doors and windows, but I will not trust in those locks to keep me and my family safe. When I get in the car to drive, I will buckle my seat beat and drive as safely as I can, but I will not trust in that belt or the strength of my car to keep me safe, or my skill in driving for that matter. When I send my kids off to a friend"s or to practice or class somewhere, I will know to whom I am sending them, but I will not put my trust in that person or place. I want good things to happen and I plan on lots of them happening. But I am not ultimately in control of what happens, and neither are you my friends. So when you see instability, wars, rumors of wars, murders, molestations, robberies, and martyrdom where will you look for strength, stability, and hope?

Make good plans, if you like, buy guns or stores of food or water, get safes for your gold and jewels, lock your windows and your doors, screen all the people that come into your children's lives...but in all that, remember Who ultimately holds your life in His hand. "Some trust in chariots, some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God." Let me remember, OH GOD, let me remember this when I am afraid of what lurks around the corner, what may come to pass...Let me remember, "unless the LORD guards the city, the watchman stays awake in vain." Oh God, guard us and keep us, but if and when trials come, let me cling to the NAME OF THE LORD MY GOD. He is my hope, my strength, the ONE in WHOM I will trust.

"In God I will put my trust, I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
Where do you put your trust?
~Theresa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Want to share your heart or your mind with me? Please do and thanks for stopping by.