This morning just a short time before going to church, I heard myself uttered some ugly words, nothing big, just something unnecessary and not edifying, definitely not imparting grace to the hearers, as it talks about in Ephesians 4. Well, anyway, I was convicted right then and there as my husband spoke nothing after I said what I said, stopping my unnecessary ugliness right then and there.
Well, as I sat in church singing, the thought that the Spirit was ringing in my heart was that Christ died for that nastiness. For that unnecessary, unedifying word that I took the privilege of speaking without any thought to the consequence. For some reason today it struck me in a way that I don't think I can rightly put into words. It just was a warning, a conviction in my spirit and an almost exciting encouragement, that I don't have to speak those things, I shouldn't ever speak those unwholesome things because my Lord had to die for that. Does it make me feel good, or justified to talk unloving towards or about someone? Do it do any good? I say NOT! It does nothing but offend my Savior and smell of foulness in the body. In a new way today I feel encouraged and challenged by the Spirit to "let no unwholesome word proceed out of (my) mouth" Here is the scripture and it says it all, grace words, not grieving the Spirit, but imparting grace. Oh let me do that!! Let me remember what sent my Savior to the cross, it was for that. May I repent of my unwholesome speech and glorify God by abiding in in and bearing much fruit: love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and namely in this case, SELF-CONTROL!
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, by whom you were sealed for the day of redemption. 31 Let all bitterness, wrath, anger, clamor, and evil speaking be put away from you, with all malice. 32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
Thank you for that! I'm joining you, and by God's grace, I'm quitting the unedifying words. I speak too hastily, too sharply, too often. Your words today convicted me sharply! It's not by accident that I stopped by today! Thank you again!
ReplyDeletePraise the Lord, you are welcome, Cora!!! I am so blessed to encourage you, I desperately need encouragement and thrive on it everyday. God is so gracious to continue to work on us, patiently, lovingly, faithfully. Oh what a good God!! Thank you for your comment, it a blessing and an encouragement to know we are in this fight of faith together, looking unto Jesus...Amen. Blessings to you!!!!!
ReplyDelete