Background

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Fear...and the dentist...and Peace

One of my worst failings is fear, one of my worst fears is the dentist. Over the years, I never minded the dentist, had great checkups and great teeth. But after the beginnings of my childbearing years, there was a different story. I began to get so many cavities, and now I even have a broken tooth. The fear that is wrapped up in that is the fear of man, firstly, "what will they think of me? they will think that I don't care for my teeth? that I am lazy..." The fear of man is snare, so true. I also fear the funds that it will cost to pay for all those cavities and a crown. I also fear the pain that will be caused in fixing them, and so on...

Now having children, I have 5 more people's teeth to think about. We do a good job, I believe of brushing their teeth everyday, with only an occasional miss during the year. But I have one child that seems to me that she has a cavity. Oh the panic, real fear, that floods my soul when I look into that mouth and see what I believe looks like a cavity. "what kind of mother will the dentist think I am?" "I am not doing a good enough job." " I am not a good mom." The fear of man, the lies of the evil one coupled with that.

Today, looking in a beautiful 5 year-old's mouth, my stomach went to panic, anxiety. Whatever will I do if my child has to get a filling?!!! So were the thoughts in my mind at that moment.

But fear is not where I dwell. For I must remember with Whom I dwell, with Whom I abide, the One Who casteth out all fear. The One Who is Perfect Love. The One Who knows me intimately, knows my heart, knows my laborings, my goods, my bads, my strengths, my weaknesses and even pities me because He remembers that I am dust. In Him, I abide. I must not fear. But what then do I do when I am faced with the flood of anxieties that I have over facing the dentist, the bill, the pain, the watching my little one be in pain, the feelings of guilt, thinking I should have done better with myself, with my children?????? I know what I must do this day, what I should do everyday that fear seems to creep into my mind and heart, abide in Him and think on this:
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.


So the fear may not be the dentist for you, or for me tomorrow, but fear most certainly will come. And when it does, I will choose to not fear, but put my trust, my hope in the One Who holds today, tomorrow, my every minute. Who has written in His book my days, even when there was none of them. How can I fear with a God like that?!

"In God, I have put my trust. I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"
~Psalm 56:11


"In You, Oh Lord, I place my trust. I thank You, that though You are the God of the universe, You care for my smallest need. You tell me to place them all at Your feet, that you care for me. And even in the tiniest of the details of my life, what may seem foolish or unimportant to others, I still can come to You about it, I can cast my cares, my fears on You. Knowing that You hear. And when I do, Lord, something truly supernatural, something powerful happens. You fill my life with peace, that passes all understanding. When minutes ago, I was fretting over teeth, I become still. I will need to do this millions of times in my life, give it to You, cast it on You. But Lord, You hear, You listen and You keep Your promise, to give peace. Not as the world gives, but perfect peace. I love knowing You Lord, You are the Love of my life, my joy, my Peace, the One that I need. The only thing I need.
In Jesus Name,
Amen"

1 comment:

  1. This is great ~ very encouraging :) If it makes you feel any better, my son has 6 cavities!
    For a mixture of reasons, not due to neglect :)

    ReplyDelete

Want to share your heart or your mind with me? Please do and thanks for stopping by.